Are You Ready for the Winter?
Have you noticed how some people love winter while others seem to hate it with every fiber of their being? The difference in perspective is a matter of preparation. Those who are prepared for winter and take advantage of the seasonal benefits find joy and happiness in the colder months. By being prepared to handle the snow, organizing your warmer weather possessions, and finding delight in your winter clothes you will realize that winter can be a magical time of the year. So, if you are more Scrooge than Santa follow these simple tips to have a better winter.
- Stock emergency preparedness kits. Have one in your home and in every vehicle in case the power goes out or you are stranded.
- Have disposable dishes and utensils on hand.
- Get seasonal food and beverages like eggnog and gingerbread cookies to capture the winter spirit.
- Invest in floor rugs. They preserve heat and keep your feet warm.
- Use a humidifier. Humidifiers prevent dry skin and make the air in your home more comfortable.
Winterizing Your Home
- Be certain all doors close tightly and are properly sealed to keep out cold air.
- Seal your windows. Bubble wrap works well in a pinch.
- Leave the oven door open after baking until cool. (However, do no use a gas oven for heat when your power goes out.)
- Keep salt or ice melt on hand.
- Fold your sweaters. Hanging stretches them out.
- Store your boots upright so the moisture runs off without cracking the material.
- Wear slippers around the house to stay warmer.
- Store your scarves and gloves in a clear shoe holder (the kind you hang on the back of a door).
- Enjoy coats and jackets in winter colors.
- Vacuum seal your summer clothes to save space.
With a little winter house organization and preparation you will be prepared to not only endure weather, but enjoy it. If you would like help getting organized for the snowy months or would like assistance winterizing your home, McMaid Home Services provides the services you need. We love winter and want to help you enjoy it too. Please browse our website for more information on our services, or give us a call today.